QPS - Polair 1

For all those camera snappy enthusiasts, share your images whether they be of radio communications, emergency services or incidents etc
Post Reply
User avatar
Stretch
Registered User
Posts: 3527
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:29 pm
Location: Gold Coast
Contact:

QPS - Polair 1

Post by Stretch » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:32 pm

Or whatever the other callsigns are. Based at the Marina Mirage (mind you ever time I drive past for work, it's on the ground...)

Image

Image

Image

Image
Mitch Rogers

User avatar
AIRMAN
Registered User
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:49 pm

Re: QPS - Polair 1

Post by AIRMAN » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:06 pm

What frequency are they on?

alinco21
Senior Member
Posts: 698
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:27 pm
Location: Earth around the Gold Coast Area.

Re: QPS - Polair 1

Post by alinco21 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:38 pm

standard air freqs for the area
and the QPS main channel.

has been talked about before in here somewhere.

119.000 MHz
118.700 MHZ

Comint
Senior Member
Posts: 1605
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: QPS - Polair 1

Post by Comint » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:58 pm

AIRMAN wrote:What frequency are they on?
Queensland Police are licensed for 119.1 and 131.6 MHz AM. However, that is not of much use, as those frequencies are usually only installed in Incident Command Vehicles, and some major Stations, and of course, Police Air Wing aircraft and facilities. General Duties vehicles don't have Air Band Radios.

The 131.6 MHz frequency is licensed to Police in most Australian States.

The Police Services, and the aviation regulartory authorities, should really give some serious thought to having Polair Callsigns that are "self evident" as to State-of-Origin, just like they do with Fire-bombing aircraft. It would certainly reduce the risk of confusion during "cross-border" operations.

The recent CHOGM meeting in Western Australia must have been interesting, with Polairs from at least three States, in the air over Perth.

--
Comint

User avatar
AIRMAN
Registered User
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:49 pm

Re: QPS - Polair 1

Post by AIRMAN » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:18 pm

The recent CHOGM meeting in Western Australia must have been interesting, with Polairs from at least three States, in the air over Perth.

Interesting? What a waste of resources. :roll:

I can't believe Gold Coast has only one police helo. We are dealing with 21st century crime waves with a 1960's attitude. :oops:

Police on the ground where the action is should have a DIRECT radio link with the helo when dealing with pursuits.

User avatar
Pumper_50
Registered User
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:11 am
Location: Victoria
Contact:

QPS - Polair 1

Post by Pumper_50 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: Waste of resources comment.
How was it a waste? Privvy to the risk assessments that were done are you? I think that's a bit hard for us to comment on unless we have all the details.

Re: Direct communication comment. They do. They use airband in addition to QPS radio network.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pumper_50 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Pumper_50

http://vicradiozone.com

User avatar
Pumper_50
Registered User
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:11 am
Location: Victoria
Contact:

QPS - Polair 1

Post by Pumper_50 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:21 pm

Comint wrote:
The Police Services, and the aviation regulartory authorities, should really give some serious thought to having Polair Callsigns that are "self evident" as to State-of-Origin, just like they do with Fire-bombing aircraft. It would certainly reduce the risk of confusion during "cross-border" operations.

The recent CHOGM meeting in Western Australia must have been interesting, with Polairs from at least three States, in the air over Perth.

--
Comint
I actually think it does technically exist already.

That is why here in Victoria we have Pol-Air 30 thru to Pol-Air 35 on airband. They originally came about via what was then CASA. Same with Media.

Many years when I was up in the Melbourne Airport Control Tower they had a list under a clear Perspex sheet stuck on a desk.

One was for TV helo callsigns and the VicPol Pol-Air ones, they also had some ones listed for interstate Pol-Air units. I was told by the staff then each state is supposed to use Pol-Air as a prefix followed by a number that matches their state.

Probably the same old story in that it exists but not practiced due to some not liking to change their habits so it's now become a bit of an unknown.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,
Pumper_50

http://vicradiozone.com

SteveO
Registered User
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:43 pm
Location: Lockyer Valley, Qld

Re: QPS - Polair 1

Post by SteveO » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:31 pm

AIRMAN wrote: I can't believe Gold Coast has only one police helo. We are dealing with 21st century crime waves with a 1960's attitude. :oops:
And the Gold Coast Mayor is asking for donations from the local businesses to keep it in the air :roll: If they only put half the revenue from the speed cameras towards running helicopters imagine how many more would be in the air :lol:
Steve

User avatar
Phantom
Forum Manager
Posts: 1305
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: SE QLD

Re: QPS - Polair 1

Post by Phantom » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:24 pm

That is an insult... seriously - they will have to keep the chopper going especially since the Commonwealth Games are going to be on the coast.

User avatar
AIRMAN
Registered User
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:49 pm

Re: QPS - Polair 1

Post by AIRMAN » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:17 pm

Pumper_50 wrote:Re: Waste of resources comment.
How was it a waste? Privvy to the risk assessments that were done are you? I think that's a bit hard for us to comment on unless we have all the details.

Re: Direct communication comment. They do. They use airband in addition to QPS radio network.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


CHOGM is a monumental waste of taxpayers money IMO. I do not find it hard to comment on that at all.
Not being 'privvy' to 'risk assessments' does not preclude me from expressing an opinion on this forum.

:lol:

User avatar
AIRMAN
Registered User
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:49 pm

Re: QPS - Polair 1

Post by AIRMAN » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:19 pm

orangepeel wrote:That is an insult... seriously - they will have to keep the chopper going especially since the Commonwealth Games are going to be on the coast.
I agree absolutely.

User avatar
Pumper_50
Registered User
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:11 am
Location: Victoria
Contact:

Re: QPS - Polair 1

Post by Pumper_50 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:39 pm

I took your comment as meaning that having the Air Wing flying at CHOGM was the waste, not the event itself. I took it that way because the conversation was about Air Wing presence, not perceived waste on holding events such as CHOGM.

I'm not a mind reader and when you don't specify exactly what you think the waste is can you blame me for thinking we're still talking about the topic at hand?

For all you know I may hold similar views on CHOGM however that is not was being discussed.

Sorry for the confusion and you feeling as though you're being censored.
Regards,
Pumper_50

http://vicradiozone.com

Comint
Senior Member
Posts: 1605
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: QPS - Polair 1

Post by Comint » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:05 pm

SteveO wrote:
AIRMAN wrote: I can't believe Gold Coast has only one police helo. We are dealing with 21st century crime waves with a 1960's attitude. :oops:
And the Gold Coast Mayor is asking for donations from the local businesses to keep it in the air :roll: If they only put half the revenue from the speed cameras towards running helicopters imagine how many more would be in the air :lol:
As far as I am aware, the Gold Coast "Police" helicopter is not Queensland Government funded, but instead funded by Gold Coast rate-payers, as our "brain-dead" State Pollies can't see any justification for the Police to have their own helicopters.

--
Comint

User avatar
Pumper_50
Registered User
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:11 am
Location: Victoria
Contact:

QPS - Polair 1

Post by Pumper_50 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:30 pm

It's an unusual attitude for them to maintain given what Qld has been through in the last couple of years.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,
Pumper_50

http://vicradiozone.com

User avatar
AIRMAN
Registered User
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:49 pm

Re: QPS - Polair 1

Post by AIRMAN » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:02 pm

Comint wrote:
SteveO wrote:
AIRMAN wrote: I can't believe Gold Coast has only one police helo. We are dealing with 21st century crime waves with a 1960's attitude. :oops:
And the Gold Coast Mayor is asking for donations from the local businesses to keep it in the air :roll: If they only put half the revenue from the speed cameras towards running helicopters imagine how many more would be in the air :lol:
As far as I am aware, the Gold Coast "Police" helicopter is not Queensland Government funded, but instead funded by Gold Coast rate-payers, as our "brain-dead" State Pollies can't see any justification for the Police to have their own helicopters.

--
Comint
True, very true.

The only thing that the 'brain dead pollies' concern themselves with is how they will fare at the next state election. :lol:

User avatar
Stretch
Registered User
Posts: 3527
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:29 pm
Location: Gold Coast
Contact:

Re: QPS - Polair 1

Post by Stretch » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:03 pm

Comint wrote:
SteveO wrote:
AIRMAN wrote: I can't believe Gold Coast has only one police helo. We are dealing with 21st century crime waves with a 1960's attitude. :oops:
And the Gold Coast Mayor is asking for donations from the local businesses to keep it in the air :roll: If they only put half the revenue from the speed cameras towards running helicopters imagine how many more would be in the air :lol:
As far as I am aware, the Gold Coast "Police" helicopter is not Queensland Government funded, but instead funded by Gold Coast rate-payers, as our "brain-dead" State Pollies can't see any justification for the Police to have their own helicopters.

--
Comint
Correct. The QLD Government supplies the police, but the GCCC pays for (through our taxes) the actual chopper.
AIRMAN wrote:True, very true.

The only thing that the 'brain dead pollies' concern themselves with is how they will fare at the next state election. :lol:
But they don't mind their own personal jets...just not a police chopper.
Mitch Rogers

User avatar
AIRMAN
Registered User
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:49 pm

Re: QPS - Polair 1

Post by AIRMAN » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Just keep all this in mind when casting your vote at the state elections next March :!:

Ditto the Feds as well :roll:
Some of our politicians need what this guy has an abundance of!!! :lol:

image001.jpg
[/color]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Reply